Monday, May 4, 2015

Maryland Sheep and Wool 2015

 Here is a recap of my Sheep and Wool experience.

The last time I went was about three years ago, because it always is the same weekend as the TD Bank 5 Boro Bike tour. I volunteered for 1 year, and then rode the two consecutive years after.  It was a lot of fun, but I felt that it was time to get back to Maryland.  

My focus for this trip was all about connecting with other knitters and really getting to meet some really awesome people.  In the past it has been a mad dash for yarn, and all of the encounters I had with other knitters  became a blur.  I decided to take things a little slow this time around.

Firstly, I finished my sweater mid-week, instead of my usual stay up all night knitting the night before.  I decided to wear Japan sleeves, because I figured that there was a chill in the air in the early morning, and its a lightweight sweater, so I wouldn't melt wearing it.  Of course, I was running from the sun during those high noon hours, but I enjoyed every minute of wearing it. 



The sweater fits perfect, and I couldn't be any happier. The yarn is Madeline Tosh's Tosh Merino Lite, in Pop Rocks and Dirty Panther.  To my surprise, a lot of people came up to me to talk about the colors, the yarn, and the clever construction.  Joji Locatelli is a designer with such an eye for detail and out of the box construction.  I was happy to make conversation.  

In fact, I was prepared this time.  Earlier in the week, I ordered cards from overnightprints.com, so that I can have something to give to my new knitter friends. 
They were relatively inexpensive, compared to other online printing resources, and the quality is great. 

At 1:00, there was the Podcaster Meetup, and I was honored to meet some of the people that I listen to on a weekly basis, who make me happy when the world is crazy.

First, I met Shannon of the Minerva Turkey Podcast.  She gave me a big hug.  She is super sweet.  We talked about how the podcast makes me so happy.  We also chatted about hair color, hair products, how her podcast has enabled me to start shawls, and how knitters are such geniuses when they design  things with clever construction.  It's awesome how our brains are wired once the fiber fumes get to our head.   I felt like I could have talked to her for hours and I am so happy to have a new knitting friend,  even if she is all the way in Florida.  Friendship travels miles and miles through space and time.  It was an honor to meet her face to face after getting to know her through the podcast. 


The next podcaster I met was Janis from the Carolina Fiber Girls.  She came with FlatAnn, who represented Ann, the other half of her podcast team, who couldn't make the festival.  We chatted about my sweater, which was a featured "FOR REAL????" on their podcast.  I had joined it incorrectly, and it turned into moebius midriff madness.  They had a ton of laughs on the podcast, and I was laughing so hard when I heard them talking about it, that I cried.  It really was a spectacle.


In her podcast, Janis always talks about Maria from Elegant Economy Knits. She usually has an Instaknitnight going on Instagram.  I mentioned the Sockagram idea to her and she wants to include it. Woohoo.  I love the idea because its a great way to connect and see what everone is working on.  She laughed when I was like "OMG I hear about you on the podcast all the time".  


I totally had a fan girl moment with each of these ladies.  I love and appreciate all that they do to mix social media with knitting.  Timing could not have been any more perfect.  

Of course, there cant be all of this yarn around without a haul. This year, my haul was small but effective.  

I was well within my budget and made sure to only purchase things that I totally fell in love with. 
My designer friend RosiG has a mystery shawl currently going on with the Neighborhood Fiber Company.  I totally missed out on the beginning of the KAL, because I have been preoccupied with a bunch of socks. (More on that in the next post). However, I had the privilege of seeing the shawl on the drive to Maryland, and I totally fell in love.  I bought the same exact color that the sample is knit up in, and all I have to get now is beads. I am not at liberty to really talk about the finished product.  But, what I can say......is that the construction is pure genius, and the shear beauty of the shawl is breathtaking.  It is made with DK weight yarn, so you don't have to squint your eyes on a lace weight project.  It is sure to keep your neck and shoulders nice and cozy when worn.  

The rest of my haul is knitting essentials. Needles for a hat and a pair of socks, and a Fleegle Beader for that lace shawl project.  

I also had to get some fabulous fair food.  During the course of the day, I had a Lamb Burger, Chili Cheese Fries, Funnel Cake, and Lime Fizz.  Can someone say fried food overload???  I need a green juice fast. Lol. 

I had a fabulous time at Maryland Sheep and Wool. I cannot wait for the next festival. Here are some more pics from the trip. 

Hanging with ZENZIBELL and CARMELNAP on the ride from the parking lot to the fair.


Welcome, welcome!

The best mode of transportation. 

Socks on a Plane in Maryland

Sockagram April sock still in progress. 

A stitch counter given to me by Terrie, who is the founder of the Knatural Purls group. I Love Pink. 

ROADTRIP SELFIE!!!!

Refreshing Lime Fizz at the end of the day. 











  



2 comments:

miukat said...

Hey Shameka! I can't believe I didn't see you, Tawana, or Janis! We were in the Sheep to Shawl competition on Sunday and took 3rd place. It was awesome! Miss you and glad you're doing well!

bmom said...

Love your sweater -- it looks great on. And fun sockagram - I bet it helps keep you going.