Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Official Rhinebeck Wrap-Up

You all must be wondering if I made my sweater in time for Rhinebeck.  Yes, I did.  here is a little backstory.  
On Thursday night, my sweater was here. 

I had started the button band, and was at the point of doing the button holes and then 3 more rows before binding off.  

Friday morning, I decided to bind off using the tubular bindoff.  The buttonband used a whole skein of yarn, and I had just enough to put on the needle and bind off. I bound off for 2 hours before I had to leave for work.  


So, I knitted the remaining sleeve decreases on my way to work.  The sleeves were here by the time I got to work.  


I super-power knitted during my lunch break and left work with about 24 rows to go before getting to the ribbing.

This is where I was at about 1AM. 


I kept telling myself, I can last on 2 hours of sleep.  I finished the buttonband bindoff after I completed the sleeve.  I looked at the time and it was 4:49 AM.  I swear that tubular bindoff is a time warp.  But it looks amazing on the finished project. 

I had to hustle to sew the buttons, and had just enough time to hop in the shower and get my stuff together so that I could make it to the bus on time.  


And of course, I took a selfie as I was heading out the door.  The lighting isn't so good, but I was just proud of actually finishing.  


My actual Rhinebeck experience was all a blur. 
We got there.....I spend all of my budgeted cash on Miss Babs yarn......I walked around......hugged lots of people......kissed babies......saw tons of sweaters I want to make......found a Grandpa Cardigan Twin......Fondled yarn......bought another yarn kit that I have been drooling for a long time.......sipped wine......talked to more people about their handknits.....took my tired behind back to the bus.  

I managed to get a few photos of the fun time.


My Grandpa Cardigan Twin CassyTom on Ravelry.  It was so nice meeting her.  She knit hers in Mosaic Moon yarn.


My dear friend CreativeCeci who also did the Joji Fall KAL with me. Here is her Tourist sweater in Fuschia Malabrigo yarn.  

Ceci graciously took a picture of the back of my sweater for me.  

The beautiful baby I kissed, wearing the hat I made for him.  He had fun tugging at my curls. Haha!  So adorable. 

His brother wearing the other hat I knitted.  Too cute! 

And last, but not least.....my Rhinebeck Haul.


MISS BABS 

Yowza, Whatta Skein Worsted in Oyster.  This will become a scarf for me.  I'm also trying to find a slouchy hat pattern, so I can make it with a second skein. 


Cosmic Fingering in Across the Universe.  It will become socks.  Just not sure which sock pattern yet. 

Tarte Fingering in Fireball.  This is for my mom, whose favorite color in the whole wide world is orange. She saw a pair of Monkey socks, and fell in love with them.  So, these will be Monkey Socks.  

Tarte Fingering in BFF.  These will be socks for me, but I haven't found a pattern yet.  

A Soakbox kit in Grape Gatsby.  This is EVERYTHING all in one.  A cute pedi and sweet smelling soak wash. 

And a closeup of the mini skeins that I acquired from Gynxyarns and Miss Babs. They look perfect for a sock yarn blanket. 

My favorite is the sparkly orange yarn.  Glitz Sock Mini Skein in Pumpkin Spice.  That's sure to be my next purchase.

So, that's my Rhinebeck Wrap-up.  I have been trying to catch up on sleep ever since.  WIP WEDNESDAY will return next week.  I can finally get back to the projects that I put on hold for the sweater.  Whew!  Operation Sock Drawer and Socktober are still in full effect.  







6 comments:

MrsJen said...

This is awesome. I am glad you finished your sweater and it looks AMAZING... I love that you took us through the process and shared your Rhineback haul with us. I so want to come to Rhineback one year. Thank you again for sharing all your yarny goodness with us and now to breath and enjoy socktober.
Happy Knitting,
Jennifer (jenstudy on IG)

bmom said...

That's impressive! Love the sweater and you look great wearing it.

Harlem Purl said...

Sorry my kids slobbed all over you! Love your yarn haul!

Shameka said...

MrsJen, Thank you so much. I can't wait to see when you start your sweater. I hope my crazy antics didn't scare you away. It's a fun sweater to knit. You should definitely come to Rhinebeck and hang out with the New York crew. That would be awesome.

Shameka said...

bmom, thank you so much!!! I absolutely love it, and want another one.

Shameka said...

Harlem Purl, don't even worry about it. Kids do that all the time. I was just so happy that he let me hold him, and he was so happy and content. The hair pulling was funny too. Your kids are adorable. Antie Meka loves all of them. When will I find the time to knit up all this yarn?